Thursday, February 06, 2014

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (1972) starring Fernando Rey, Delphine Seyrig, Stephane Audran, Bulle Ogier, Jean-Pierre Cassel, Michel Piccoli. Directed by Luis Bunuel. A group of people try to get together for dinner, but are continually interrupted by absurd, surreal events. Some of the events seem real, but then they are seen to be somebody's dream. After seeing the movie, I am unable to separate dream, fantasy and reality. I'm not sure Bunuel meant for any of the events in the film to be real -- it's all one big joke on the audience. But it's a magnificent joke, and I enjoyed watching it from start to finish. I would even go so far as to rank it as one of the best movies I've seen. It won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Film. It's in French, with English subtitles. Grade: A 

No comments: