Monday, June 23, 2014

Arthur

Arthur (1981) starring Dudley Moore, Liza Minnelli, John Gielgud, Geraldine Fitzgerald, Jill Eikenberry. Perpetually drunk young millionaire Arthur (Moore) is supposed to marry Susan (Eikenberry) in an arranged marriage, but he falls in love with Linda (Minnelli), a poor working girl. Moore does a great job of acting drunk; but although the movie is hilarious, I can't quite reconcile myself to condoning alcoholism, as the movie seems to do. I was thoroughly entertained, but I kept thinking, would both of these beautiful women really fall in love with someone who is always falling-down drunk? So I can't wholeheartedly recommend this film, but if someone asked I would say, See it, by all means. It's a very well made movie, and it won two Academy Awards, one for Best Song, and one for Best Supporting Actor (Gielgud). (English subtitles for the hearing-impaired are available on the disc.) Grade: B+    

No comments: