Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Elysium

Elysium (2013) starring Matt Damon, Jodie Foster, Sharlto Copley, Alice Braga. The year is 2154, and Earth has become sharply divided into the Haves and the Have-nots. The ultra-rich live on a space station high above the surface of Earth, and have medical technology that can cure any disease, repair any damage. Max (Damon) receives a lethal dose of radiation on the job and has five days to live -- or to get to Elysium and be cured. I'm a sci-fi freak, so I was eager to see this movie and find out how the premise had been translated to the screen. I was disappointed. The special effects are pretty good, but the plot boils down to a hand-to-hand fight on the space station -- always a cop-out, in my opinion. In addition, the acting had some weak spots and the script had some weak dialogue that detracted from the overall effect of the movie. Plus, the ending was too pat. So I can't give this film the highest grade, even though I applaud the attempt to make a full-on sci-fi drama. (English subtitles are available for the hearing-impaired.) Grade: B

No comments: