Friday, February 10, 2012

Stolen Kisses

Stolen Kisses (1968) starring Jean-Pierre Leaud. Directed by Francois Truffaut. Antoine Doinel (Leaud) is booted out of the Army, and quickly lands a job as a night clerk -- from which he is quickly fired. He then gets a job in a detective agency, and that's when things start to really go wrong. Honestly, I'm at a loss when it comes to evaluating this film. It doesn't really have a plot. It's more like a slice of life. It's fairly entertaining to watch, but after it was over I kind of found myself scratching my head and wondering what I had just seen. Some critics have called it Truffaut's best movie. I guess I just don't "get" Truffaut. He is French, after all. This film was nominated for an Oscar as Best Foreign Film. The movie is in French, with English subtitles. Grade: B

No comments: