Saturday, July 24, 2010

Peter Pan (DVD)

Peter Pan (1953) -- animated. I can't remember when I first saw this movie. My first memory of Peter Pan is of a picture book I had when I was four years old -- which would have been in 1953, the year this movie was released. I guess I got the book instead of going to see the film (my family was very poor in '53), but I treasured that book, and read it over and over. The movie is a delightful reminder of a childhood experience that stands out like a remembered dream. The film tells the story of Wendy, Michael and John, the Darling children, and how one day they fly away with Peter Pan to Neverland, where children never have to grow up. Pan's ongoing battle with Captain Hook is one of the comic subplots, as is Tinker Bell's jealousy of Wendy. Of course, everything works out in the end, and the animation is top-notch. The subtitles are very good. Grade: A

No comments: