Friday, April 14, 2006

Young Frankenstein (DVD)

Young Frankenstein (1974) starring Gene Wilder, Peter Boyle, Teri Garr, Marty Feldman. I loved this movie when I first saw it, in 1974, and I still harbor an abiding affection for it. But the jokes were fresh then, and have lost their impact now. I'm only speaking for myself, though. I suspect that viewers who are lucky enough to come across this movie for the first time will still reap belly laughs from the outrageous antics of Frederick Frankenstein (Wilder), grandson of Victor Frankenstein. The younger Frankenstein returns to his grandfather's castle for the reading of a will, and ends up replicating his ancestor's work of reanimating dead flesh into a living creature. Everything is played for laughs and there are some unforgettable scenes. Grade: B+

No comments: