Thursday, January 30, 2014

Angel Face

Angel Face (1952) starring Robert Mitchum, Jean Simmons. Directed by Otto Preminger. An ambulance driver named Frank (Mitchum) is called to the scene of a near-asphyxiation, where he meets Diane (Simmons), the beautiful but hate-filled stepdaughter of the woman who almost died. Diane turns out to be a manipulative witch, and she gets Frank to quit his ambulance-driving job and come to work as a chauffeur for her father and stepmother. Diane tries to get Frank to fall in love with her, but he's not having it, sensing there is something a bit off with her. Then, when her father and stepmother die in a car crash, Diane and Frank are arrested and charged together with murder. I found the premise and the resolution of this movie to be outlandish, and I was not satisfied with it. However, it did keep my interest, and I think it will stick with me as a memorable film. (English subtitles are available for the hearing-impaired.) Grade: B-  

No comments: