Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Friends with Kids

Friends with Kids (2011) starring Adam Scott, Jennifer Westfeldt, Kristen Wiig, Megan Fox, John Hamm, Maya Rudolph, Chris O'Dowd. Two platonic friends (Scott, Westfeldt) see what being parents has done to their married friends, and decide to have a baby together -- but without the commitment of marriage. They both go on to date other people, but are obviously in love with each other. This movie, which should be funny, has few laughs -- in fact I don't remember cracking a smile. It's all so earnest, the nastiness between their friends is so hurtful, the confrontation with their married friend (Hamm) on the skiing trip is so vicious, that it's really hard to like this film. Though I admit I was moved when they finally got together (oops, hope I didn't spoil the ending!), the romance of the moment was somewhat spoiled when he declared his love by saying "I want to fuck the shit out of you." Does that pass for love talk these days? It didn't turn me on. (The disc offers optional English subtitles and closed captions.) Grade: B-

No comments: