Friday, December 04, 2009

M. Hulot's Holiday (DVD)

M. Hulot's Holiday (1953) starring Jacques Tati. Directed by Jacques Tati. Monsieur Hulot (Tati) goes on vacation to a beach resort. While there, he gets into various kerfuffles, mostly of his own making, and we, the audience, are intended to laugh. This movie is simply absurd, and maybe that was the intent of the makers. It has its Gallic charms, and the atmosphere at the beach resort made me nostalgic for a France I have never seen, and which undoubtedly no longer exists (although I have visited Paris, I've never experienced the countryside). It didn't make me laugh, but it did make me smile. And that's nothing to sneer at. In French, with English subtitles. An alternate, English soundtrack is available on the disc. Grade: B

No comments: