Friday, August 20, 2004

How I Killed My Father (movie review)

How I Killed My Father (2003) on DVD. In French, with English subtitles. The title to this movie has also been translated into English as "My Father and I," which certainly takes the punch out of it. It features an age-old story, told in modern fashion, of the conflict between a father and son. The son, a successful and wealthy doctor, gets a letter telling him his father has died and was unable to return to France. A few moments later, the father appears, apparently alive, in the crowd at a party at the son's mansion. Is the father really alive? Is he a fantasy of the son's mind? Is the story being told in flashback? It's never really clear, and scarcely matters. Ultimately, there are no characters to like, and it's hard to care what happens. Grade: B-

No comments: